Visit to Indiana

We are now in O’Bannon State Park in Corydon, Indiana (Stayed June 22-25). It’s about 32 Miles West from Louisville. It’s a huge park with loops A-D. There is only electricity and a common dump station. No water, which we forgot about! We saw some people running hoses to their holding tanks, we didn’t have enough length to reach one. Off to Walmart we went for a water container. We bought a hard cased 6 gallon. We have a funnel that goes into the tank, but someone has to hold it in there and someone has to lift that 48+ (water weighs 8.3 lbs per gallon) pound container and pour it in while standing on a ladder.


Camp is set up and ready to go.


Pretty empty campground. Very nice place to stay.

I had a feeling it was going to be a great park due to the trails and all the woods and we would get setup and get to explore or I could go bike riding. I should have known better the way the day started wit the unexpected rain. It took us 38 minutes to get backed in and some kid was just sitting there with his arms crossed watching us. That felt worse than the usual group of men for some reason.

We got everything done and it was definitely time for an adult beverage. While enjoying that we sat in our screened in tent to avoid the biting flies, but it didn’t help with the heat and humidity. After the rain this morning I felt wet all day, I kept checking for wrinkled skin like as you would get after sitting in a bathtub too long. Just now feeling better while sitting inside with the AC on.

We enjoyed a dinner of Bratwurst and grilled veggies outside and then took a walk. It is a really nice park, but there are some weird things about it, like the numbering of the sites is really wacky, there seems to be no order. The picnic tables are abundant, but seemingly randomly placed. We saw one campsite that had 5 tables and another had only one. Most have at least two. The best part of the park, other than all the hiking trails and ability to ride your bike on the roads quite a bit is the loop D, the equestrian campsites. Everyone has horses tied up to the poles provided, some have rope fences, the horse trailer/camper combos look cool. I wonder if the camper part smells like horse? I would imagine so, but horses don’t smell as bad as pigs. Some trailers just look like horse trailers only, so I don’t know where the people are sleeping, but a lot of their stuff is just piled outside the camper. I couldn’t wait to go get some pictures with the camera. Most of the trails are shared between the hikers, bikers and horses. Must be fun for a horse owner to take their horses camping and go riding.


Looks like a Beer garden.


More randomly placed tables…


Note the slide out in the front where the people live or sleep.

P1140030 P1140028 P1140032P1140034

Corydon is kind of just a stop along the interstate- (no offense to any of the population there), so we were wondering how we would find a volunteer opportunity in Indiana, since that is the only place in the state we were staying. I suggested we talk to the park ranger and see if there was something we could help out with, so on Thursday morning, not as early as we planned because there was facebook, news reading and blogging to be done, we went to the park office. We left a message for Ranger Stanley to come by or give us a call. We had plenty to do while waiting, eating lunch, reading and taking a look at our now broken bathroom roof fan, which required taking the bike and ladder off the back of the camper. About 3pm Ranger Stanley came by. A nice looking and nice guy. After we explained that we would like to volunteer he asked if we could hike some portions of the Adventure Hiking Trail for him to let him know of any down trees that are blocking it. The Adventure hiking trail goes all around the park and can take 2-3 days to hike. There are shelters along the way for overnight stays.

We were excited to have this opportunity! I was definitely happy because I figured since we weren’t going to be there very long and we needed to spend some time volunteering we would never have time to hike or for me to bike. Ahhh-perfect! So, with our enthusiasm and map in hand we took off immediately. Before we even left the pavement to get on the trail my phone was giving a weather alert. We had heard rumblings of thunder, but you can’t really see anything when in all those trees, but now it was real. Yep, a severe thunderstorm alert for our county. We went anyway and figured if we got wet, oh well, as long as we didn’t get hit by lightning. What a beautiful forest and trail! Soon we got another weather alert telling us of Tornado warnings. We made a plan to find a low spot if we felt there was any real dangers, said our goodbyes to each other, etc. and continued onward. We were headed to the Iron Bridge as the first section and that was a great hike of about 45 minutes. Still no rain, so we decided to tackle another section rather than double back. It was pretty overgrown and I could have really used a machete, but the trail was easy to follow. I felt like I was in a rainforest at points. Then I was! The skies opened up and our trail became a creekbed. We were both completely soaked from head to toe. It didn’t last too long, but everything was wet, wet, wet. I did have wrinkly fingers after that and feet too. I discovered that the capris I was wearing are pretty much see through when they get wet. As we came out of the woods there was a lady driving by and I didn’t realize why she looked at me strangely for so long, but then later it dawned on me about my wet clothes. We made it back to camp ok and had a nice dinner and a good evening feeling satisfied. We had another trail to do the next day.

P1140086 P1140077


Again, we started out not as early as we wanted to, but that’s ok because it wasn’t as hot or humid so no rush. We got on the trail about 10:50. The first part of the trail had the most bugs, those little guys who like to get in your eyes, ears and nose. Why do they do that? I had on a headband that I was able to pull over my ears and partially over my eyes and Kat had on sunglasses. Next hike I am wearing clear safety glasses to keep those bugs out of my eyes. I love my headband because it’s a bit tie dye and you can spread it over your head, but it does leave dye on my head and fingers when I sweat. Kat has a pink one and yesterday when she got rained on I thought she was bleeding for a minute, causing mini panic attack for me, then it was funny after I realized what it was.

We reached the shelter at the first end of the trail and continued onto the next one where we figured we would have lunch. I got Kat to try a bologna sandwich. I haven’t had one in years and wanted to try it again and also since it was cheap. We will go back to turkey and ham when this pack is finished. I wish we could have peanut butter, but that wouldn’t work out with Kat’s nut allergy! The hike went well and again was beautiful. In all the hiking we did, we saw no animals of any kind. We heard birds, saw some worms, toads (after the rain on the first day), and a few catepillar things, but that’s it. Kinda weird not to see a squirrel. We had lunch at the shelter while looking at a disappointing view of the Ohio river..too many trees to see it really. The shelter was cool though. It had a table inside and a lot of space for sleeping bags on the floor, windows, and seemed like it would keep out the rain. Again, lots of picnic tables outside scattered around fire pits. Seems like it would be a nice place to stop for the night after hiking.


First shelter


Time for a lunch break.


Such a sturdy little shelter.

Back at our camper we called Ranger Stanley to give him an update and he offered to let us go to the pool for free.  How could we say no when we were so hot and tired and it was free!  They usually charge non residents $9 per day!  We had already gone up to check it out the previous day so we knew what the pool was like.  It wasn’t too crowded and sure was refreshing!

P1140112 P1140113


After a dip in the pool and a ride down the curvy slide for me we started packing up so we could hopefully get a headstart the next day.


Our early start would have happened if it weren’t for Kat getting onto the internet and me wanting to go for just one more walk. The walk was worth it, the horse camp was pretty empty, but we got to meet a guy with a little pony and talk with him a bit. The little guy was only one month old and had been abandoned by his mother. (she’s currently in rehab). The drive was about 4 hours and we changed time zones about 6 times back and forth between EDT and CDT, but that also made us happy because we weren’t really running late. After a 4 hour drive we made it to Illinois.

IMG_6689 IMG_6688

Thanks for a nice visit Indiana.

This entry was posted in Indiana, Volunteer. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Visit to Indiana

  1. Diane says:

    I’m sorry if this is the third time you’ve received a common from me on this blog. But I am having a really difficult time submitting the blog comment. This was my favorite blog. All the experience you had were great and seem like fun in between the raindrops. 😀

    • says:

      So glad you like reading the blog, it helps me feel like we are not so far away from friends and family. Keep reading and I will keep writing.

  2. K&D says:

    That’s so cool and you guys seemed to stay cool during the severe weather! Love all the hiking and walking in rain! So fun! Glad you guys are having so much fun!

  3. Debbie says:

    I’m so visualizing the wet clothes and head bands staining your face! Hilarious. Keep on Truckin’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *